The members of the District Attorney's civil team serve as civil litigators and legal advisors. They are committed to carrying out these functions in the most competent and efficient manner so as to protect and promote the economic well-being of our county and give our officials the legal assistance they need to provide responsible and responsive government.
As litigators, our office prosecutes and defends civil matters on behalf of the county and its towns in state and federal court. However, the Board of County Commissioners controls the prosecution or defense of all suits to which it is a party and may elect to litigate some specialized matters with the representation of a private firm or insurance counsel. The civil team also helps represent the interests of the public in child abuse and neglect matters referred by the Nevada Division of Children and Family Services, through the filing and advancing of petitions for protective custody and the termination of parental rights in appropriate cases.
In its role as legal advisor, our office engages in a variety of tasks which are set forth by statute. These include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing all contracts under consideration by the board of county commissioners;
- Drafting ordinances and amendments thereto;
- Drawing all legal papers on behalf of the board of county commissioners;
- Attending meetings of the board of county commissioners;
- Providing advice relating to the interpretation or application of county ordinances;
- Providing advice relating to the impact of federal or state law on the county;
- At all times, giving advice, including written legal opinions, when required, to the members of the board of county commissioners upon matters relating to their duties; and
- Rendering legal opinions to any county assessor, collector, auditor or treasurer, and all other county, township or district officers within the county, in any matter relating to the duties of their respective offices.
Please note: The District Attorney's Office is prohibited from providing
advice to private citizens on any legal matter.