Amargosa Valley Death Valley Townsite, Nevada, formerly known as Lathrop Wells, is a quiet, friendly hamlet set in a region of historical significance on the southern Nevada-California border. Situated in a desert of the same name, it is flanked by the Funeral Mountains to the west, the NNSS on the north, and Yucca Mountain to the northwest. The town of Amargosa Valley is located approximately 88 miles northwest of Las Vegas, 35 miles northwest of Pahrump, and seven miles north of Death Valley Junction, California.
Beatty is located in southern Nye County approximately 100 miles northwest of Las Vegas and is a major hub along HWY US 95 between Reno and Las Vegas. Beatty is approximately eight miles from Death Valley National Park and has been designated as the “Gateway to Death Valley” since the park was founded in 1937. Beatty was officially trademarked as such along with the Burro and Miner logo with the State of Nevada in 2010. Beatty is approximately 708 square miles and is sparsely populated with just over 1,000 residents, and is Your Gateway to Adventure.
The Town of Gabbs was founded in 1941, as a company town for Basic Magnesium, Inc. (BMI), who operated a magnesium mine within the town limits. The magnesium was used for the World War II effort to make plane parts lighter than aluminum. Today, Premier Magnesia, LLC, operates the mine and employs over 90 employees, with many years of production left in the mine. The mine in Gabbs is the oldest, continuously operated mine in Nevada.
The Town of Pahrump is an unincorporated town and the population center of Nye County, located at the southernmost tip of the County, approximately 60 miles west of Las Vegas. Pahrump Valley was populated by American settlers beginning in the late 19th century, and early settlement was in the form of large ranch-style settlements, where ranchers grew cotton, alfalfa, and raised livestock. Interest in Pahrump increased during the 1960s, with the beginning of large-scale land development and speculation, and the introduction of telephone lines and a paved road into the Valley from Las Vegas.
Round Mountain is best known for the Round Mountain Gold Mine, a large open pit heap-leach gold mine owned by Kinross Gold Corporation and Barrick Gold Corporation. The first gold production from the Round Mountain District was in 1906, and by 2006 the mine reached the significant milestone of 10 million ounces poured. The mine has recently expanded with a satellite pit 5 miles north of the existing operation.
Tonopah is an unincorporated town in northern Nye County and the County seat. The Town is located along U.S. 95 about halfway between Nevada’s two main population centers of Las Vegas (220 miles) and Reno (240 miles). The community began around the turn of the 20th century when the Town’s founder. Jim Butler discovered what would be the second richest silver strike in Nevada history.